The Mission of the Protection Sports Association (PSA) is to provide an outlet for civilian competition in canine obedience and controlled protection, and to recognize achievement with titles and prizes, and promote competition with club trials and championship tournaments. PSA will endeavor to set a new standard for training excellence in the protection sports, and PSA shall encourage cross-over from other protection sports, to provide a competitive venue that will test the best against the best, and encourage excellence, sportsmanship, and integrity throughout the dog training community.

Please visit the PSA Website.

Tribute to Porter








Written by Jerry Bradshaw August 23, 2006 and posted on the PSA board.

In Remembrance of Lamont Houston’s Porter

In 2003 Lamont Houston and I were competing head to head to see whose dog was going to be the first to get a PSA 3 title. It was a friendly competition, because Lamont is a gentleman, and always was happy for me when I did well, as I am for him. My 2 dogs, Rocky & Ricardo were older than Porter was, at the time, and by some great good fortune, Ricardo was the first PSA 3 dog. Soon after Rocky and Porter made PSA 3. Later that season, as I was getting ready to compete with both my dogs at Nationals in PSA 3, Rocky was diagnosed with cancer, and I never got to show him. Lamont and I went head to head at the first PSA 3 National Championship, and for some reason, Porter, who I had judged on many occasions, and who always scored better than my two dogs, decided not to out in protection, and Ricardo was the champion. But Porter was the better PSA 3 dog, no question. And in the next 2 years he showed why he was. Porter was the 2004 PSA 3 Champion, the very next season. Lamont & Porter achieved PSA 3 more than any dog in our sport, normally with honors, and normally in the high 80s or 90s in percentage. Porter had power, and control, and was a pleasure to watch. Lamont is a great handler, and one of the most competitive guys I have known, always gracious in victory or defeat.

When I lost my first competition dog Ben v. Lowenfels SchH 2, and then Arrow SchH 3, and then Rocky PSA 3, it never got easier. The next dog you train is never like the one you just lost. Though in time, the pain of the loss fades and you do remember their faces with fondness and pride at having had the chance to share some time on earth with such magnificent animals. The pain of loss is the price you pay for all the time and effort, and love you have for them. But the love and memories endure with strength. I look back on those dogs I have lost, and though sometimes a tear comes down my cheek, I think of how lucky I have been to have had the time to step on the field with such forces of nature. The graceful, fluid, athleticism, and the power and force they bring, and when in quiet times, walking through the woods, just a dog, which is happy to be by your side.

When I lost Arrow a few years back, I wrote this poem in remembrance of him. Some people have kindly remarked, that they read the poem when they lost their best friends, and it gave them some measure of solace. I attach it here for all of us who have loved and lost. For only we in dog sports, truly understand the love we have for our partners, and can empathize the pain and anguish in another’s loss. And so we empathize with Lamont Houston.

Porter is a legend in PSA and will forever remain so. Lamont, I know we will spend many years to come talking of this great dog, and the great team you both were. It was an honor to judge many of your great performances, and an honor to shake your hand, whether in victory or defeat, because Porter was one of the greatest I have seen.

On behalf of the PSA family, we wish you condolence on your loss, and we honor your accomplishments, your sportsmanship, and your excellence. Porter will be missed by us all. You are in our thoughts.

Arrow

I looked at your face today, old man, and
I saw the face of our brother, long passed away.
The white face and the tired look in the eye
Of a dog ever tireless.
I miss you tonight and you’ve not yet left.
But, I know it’s not long.

You’ve been my teacher for some twelve years
And I’ve learned
About responsibility and forgiveness
Truth and loyalty
Laughter and the pure joy of living
The days that grace you.

Soon you’ll teach me your last lessons
About completion and grief,
Respect and remembrance.
How to cherish what you do have and waste not time
Coveting that which you don’t.
You see, I have listened all these years.

It seems we’ve arrived in this place too quickly
And I fear I’ve left something undone or unsaid
Though I know you’ll forgive me, you always have.
But what an adventure we’ve lived
Of successes and failures, an education each
Of faces and places come and gone
Some remembered, and some forgotten.

Every day has become dearer
The laughter has come more easily,
and we are moved to simpler joys
No longer is it about trophies or championships
Those things are far away in the past.
We are more than that.

When I look at you now
There is such a dignity about you
Even in your last hours
Even in your pain and weakness
And I promise to recall you with that dignity
And that mischievous eye I’ve known all these years.

Come; lie down old man, at my feet.
Feel the fire on your tired body
Leave away the pains and the labored breath
We’ll think together about easier days
Though none more precious than this last one
Lie down, and rest with me now
You are my son, my teacher, and my brother.

Girard William Bradshaw February 26, 2004